Singapore National Eye Centre (Singapore)
The Rotterdam Eye Hospital (Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
Moorfields Eye Hospital (London, UK)
Tun Hussein On National Eye Hospital (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital (Melbourne, Australia)
Rutnin Eye Hospital (Bangkok, Thailand)
St. Erik Eye Hospital (Stockholm, Sweden)
The Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital (Dublin, Ireland)
Jakarta Eye Center (Jakarta, Indonesia)
Tianjin Medical University Eye Hospital (Tianjin, China)
Sydney Eye Hospital (Sydney, Australia)
Kim’s Eye Hospital (Seoul, South Korea)
St. John of Jerusalem Eye Hospital
Kellogg Eye Center (Ann Arbor, USA)
Fondation Asile des Aveugles (Lausanne, Switzerland)
The Metta Eye Hospital (Mettapracharak (Wat Rai Khing) Hospital) (Bangkok – Thailand)
Ispahani Islamia Eye Institute & Hospital (Bangladesh)
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute (USA)
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary (USA)
Phillips Eye Institute (USA)
Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins (USA)
Emory Eye Center (USA)
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary (USA)
Wills Eye Hospital (USA)
Turin Ophthalmic Hospital (Italy)
Hoftalon Eye Hospital (Brasil)
Eye & Ent Hospital Fudan University (China)
The Beijing TONGREN Hospital (China)
The Niteroi Eye Hospital (Brasil)
The Xi’an Eye Hospital (China)
King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital (Saudi Arabia)
UCSF Eye Health (USA)
Aier Eye Hospital Group (China)
Magrabi Eye Hospital (Saudi Arabia)
New York Eye and Ear Hospital (New York, USA)
Cao Thang International Eye Hospital (Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam)
Institute of Ophthalmic Science – Angeles Lomas Hospital (Mexico-city, Mexico)
Aravind Eye Care System (Madurai, India)
Suriname Eye Center (Paramaribo, Suriname)
Chittagong Eye Infirmary and training Complex (Chittagong, Bangladesh)
Asian Eye Institute (Makati City, Philippines)
Clinica Oftalmologica Pasteur (Chili)
Tays Eye Centre (Tampere, Finland)
West of England Eye Unit (Exeter, UK)
Dr. K. Zaman BNSB Eye Hospital (Mymensingh, Bangladesh)
Suraj Eye Institute (India)
Hospital da Visao de Pernambuco (Brasil)
Tilkan Silmasairaala – Eye Hospital (Finland)
Chatswood Private Hospital
OrBis – The Flying Eye Hospital
Kisii Eye Hospital – Kenya
Interested to become a member of the WAEH?
The World Association of Eye Hospitals is a world wide network of eye hospitals. All member-hospitals are focused on delivering the best and most safe ophthalmic care. They share all kinds of information and knowledge in a very open and transparant way, via projects, but also via teleconferences, personal meetings and conferences.
Examples of projects of the WAEH:
- Management of AMD Patients
- Innovative uses of technology to improve patient experience in the delivery of eye care
- Global teaching program for glaucoma departments
- Operating Theatre Staff and Competencies
- Medical outcomes: making it possible to compare medical outcomes in a user friendly way between leading eye hospitals in the world
- Redefine the patient flow of Glaucoma patients
- Medical Outcomes
- Development of an international procedure of applying eye drops
During the annual meetings members have the opportunity to get connected to each other and exchange information and knowledge about all kinds of topics, like improving the efficiency in the service given to patients and continuous development of patient pathways. Since the establishment of the WAEH in 2007 in Rotterdam, we had the opportunity to visit eyehospitals in Rotterdam and Leuven (2007), Singapore, Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur (2008), Sweden, Finland and Estonia (2009), Melbourne and Jakarta (2010), London and Leuven (2011), Seoul and Bangkok (2012), Mexico (2013), India and Dubai (2014). You can find the meeting reports online, for an example please follow the link.
Criteria to become a member
Admittance criteria, full members
- Specialised as an eye hospital or eye department (mandatory)
- Perform > 5000 surgical procedures (excluding injections) (mandatory)
- Expertise in at least 5 of the following subspecialties: cornea, glaucoma, cataract, retina, paediatric, neuro, oculoplastics and/or uveitis (mandatory)
- Doing research (not just clinical) and publish about it (mandatory)
- Be accredited by a national or international quality system in 2014 (mandatory)
- Be one of the leading eye hospitals in it’s own country (mandatory).
- Ophthalmology residency program
- Perform community services
- Offer primary care
- Offer emergency services
Obligations of full members
- Payment of fee: 4000 euro (per 1 January 2023)
- All members are obliged to:
- Exchange information and data between members, g.e. BSC and medical outcome data
- Be an active member by g.e. participating at least in one of the projects of the WAEH a year.
- Attend the annual meeting
Service package full member
- Full members can attend the global meeting with 2 attendants without a delegate fee.
- Full members are members of the member meeting with the right to vote on budget, yearly plan, fee scheme, appointment of board members, yearly accounts and yearly activity report of the board.
- Full members can become a board member when elected.
- Full members can attend the extra topic meeting with 2 attendants without a delegate fee. Per attendant above 2 persons: 750 euro.
- Full members can use the full membership logo of the WAEH.
- Full members have full access to the knowledge hub of the WAEH with project information, meeting presentations, white papers, etc.
- Full members can participate in the WAEH projects.
Admittance criteria, associate members
- Specialising as an eye hospital or eye department
- Membership decided on a case to case-basis, decided by the board
- When in time the associate member full fills the criteria of full membership, the associate member has to become a full member
Obligations of associate members
- Payment of fee 2500 euro (per 1 January 2023)
- Use the logo according to the rules of the WAEH.
Service package associate members
- Associate members can attend the global meeting with 1 attendant without a delegate fee.
- Associate members can attend the extra topic meeting with 1 attendant without a delegate fee. Per attendant above 1 person: 750 euro.
- Associate members can use the associate logo of the WAEH.
- Associate members can attend the member meeting.
- Associate members have full access to the knowledge hub of the WAEH with project information, meeting presentations, white papers, etc.
- Associate members can participate in the WAEH projects.
Want to become a member? Please fill in the application form
- Please send the membership application to the secretary of the WAEH: Maaike van Zuilen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The secretary will send the application to all board members
- One of the board members will review the application and give a recommendation during the board meeting
- Members can join the association any time during the year
- Fee has to be paid for the whole year